Thursday 17 July 2014

Olivia Chow, Me, and the 'B' Word


Olivia Chow and others weren't happy with me for using a street version of the ‘b’ word on radio this week. I reacted viscerally on a free-for-all roundtable discussion about her demeanor in the latest Toronto mayoral debate saying “she is (pardon me) a major league bi-yatch”.  The entire point of roundtables is to generate discussion and controversy…and they are always ad lib. So, they elicit real and immediate reactions from the array of writers, politicians, business people, performers, and personalities who participate. I was engaged in just that when the comment was made.

The ensuing controversy became less about Chow’s amped up rhetoric and style and more about that word and me. According to people who know only what they’ve heard or were told by the Twitterverse, I am (apparently) a “racist”; a “sexist”; a ”misogynist”; a “clown”; an "idiot"...and a variety of other things that don’t bear repeating. Several people questioned me politely during the few hours following Moore in the Morning on NewsTalk 1010, but what broadened the discussion was a feature article in The Huffington Post that labeled my comment as disgraceful.

Well, I apologized both on the air and on social media to those who were offended, explaining that this was an off-handed use of a colloquial expression and in no way indicative of any misogynistic feelings, beliefs, or characteristics on my part. “Not good enough”, said many. Well, yes…good enough, says me!

The main question seems to be whether I would tolerate being called some equivalent as a public figure. Well, that is no hypothetical question. I’ve been called a bastard; a son-of-a-bitch; a prick; an a—hole; along with several other lovely four, eleven, and twelve letter words by people I don’t know. I’ve never liked it when it’s occurred but I always accepted that it went with the political landscape – oh yes, and that it was neither personal nor sexist anymore than my intentions were to be so in describing Chow’s debating approach at Tuesday evening’s event.

I grew up in a home where my mother decided to work when I was 11 years old and my siblings were both younger…she wanted her own car and my father couldn’t afford one for her. Women back in the 50s basically stayed home. “Hubby” went to work and did the driving. My friends’ moms would ask me if we were poor and was that why my mother “needed to work”. My mother told me to tell them she thought they were just jealous. My mother demonstrated a belief structure for what was yet to become a movement called feminism. I was, therefore, brought up in a home where women were never in question as to their equality or their rights. The result, as I grew up, was that I’d hire female executives as readily as males…often tilting in favor of females. I still view  women as more focused and trustworthy. Guys…please don’t take offense!!


As an adult and a former politician, I’ve worked with women’s organizations and, notably, with elected female politicians of all stripes. I doubt you’d find a single one who’d apply any of the labels hurled at me by people seeking to advance a legitimate and worthy cause, more women in public office. In summary, it was correct for me to say I was (and am) sorry for any offense I caused but that none was intended. I’ll continue to engage in ad lib repartee on radio, TV and elsewhere in the future. I’d even bet there’ll be times where my take or language is questioned…and I’ll respond then too. Meanwhile, this full explanation was required and if you accept this as my truth, thank you…because it is. If not, then go ahead and throw more invective around, remembering that repeating your insults won’t make them so.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment